BY RACHELLE SCOTT
Speed reading is a process elaborating a complex learning methodology, which might assist you to become a smart learner.
An average reader like us can read around 200 to 400 words per minute. However, speed readers say that they can read about 1000-1700 words per minute.
Do you really believe that they can retain knowledge easily, after speed reading?
Well, you must be unsure of the answer, as everyone is different from each other and hence, blessed with different abilities.
But, as a matter of fact, being an average reader, you need to learn speed reading along with adopting mind mapping techniques.
Speed reading and mind mapping go well together.
Mind mapping contributes significantly in retaining and recalling concepts, ideas, relations and connections. It is basically a visual representation of the concepts you read, just like infographics.
Thus, once you learn speed reading techniques with mind mapping, you can easily process and retrieve important information.
Here is how mind mapping can assist you in reading faster:
- Concise information and help build relation
With the help of mind mapping technique, you can demonstrate difficult relationships and understand different concepts.
When you read something, simply illustrate it on a paper or a tool like MindMeister, this helps in better understanding and restoring information.
Mind mapping is essential to boost your reading speed by summarizing information within your head.
- Better factual information processing
Mind mapping plays a vital role in your life, when it assists you to perfectly absorb factual information.
In speed reading, you need to efficiently integrate mind mapping tool.
It lets you understand difficult concepts, identify links between different topics and drive a conclusion at a fast pace. Using that you won’t need third-party assistance such as coursework help pros.
Mind mapping is an essential tool to help speed readers, effectively absorb and then implement the acquired knowledge.
It amplifies benefits and improves your entire learning process efficiently.
- Saves time and improves reading efficiency
Mind mapping saves your time as it boosts your reading speed and makes you an effective reader and learner.
You become capable of creating imaginary pictures on the go. Each new word, sentence and paragraph is added in your existing knowledge bank, which is already loaded with diverse links and relationships.
Your knowledge bank continues to grow and progress efficiently at a fast pace and ultimately saves you time.
The above discussed features of mind mapping are essential for learning speed reading.
Speed reading is itself a complete process, defined in various steps. This process is well supported by mind mapping and combination of both empowers you to grasp knowledge and enjoy great benefits.
To avail the great benefits of speed reading and to become a smart learner, adopt the following speed reading techniques:
- Develop a habit of reading chunks and blocks. Recall the time when you used to divide words into letters in the beginning and then later became proficient in reading the entire word.
Similarly, at first it will feel a bit daunting, start with two chunks and then accelerate to three, four and five. This practice will surely increase your reading speed.
- Adopt incomplete sentence scanning method. Just ignore the first and last words of a sentence, read the center text, as you can figure out the underlying meaning of the entire context from there.
- Only use your eye balls while reading, because head movement or any other kind of action interrupts your reading speed.
Have you ever seen someone in a movie reading a letter? If not then do so next time. You will notice that their eyes move from left to right and then right to left when they shift sentence.
You also need to follow this technique, if you really want to boost your speed reading.
- Use your fingers along with moving your eyes, as you read down a page. Your fingers serve as a guiding pointer to your eyes. This practice will for sure assist you in speed reading.
- Don’t stick upon a word for long time unnecessarily. It was beneficial during initial school days, as we had to learn patterns and pronunciation.
But as we are now adults, it is better not to do so, as it hinders speed reading.
Remember to incorporate the mind mapping tool, while you adapt to some of the above discussed speed reading techniques.
Rachelle Scott loves to research about new ways technology can be implemented in education and how the two can revolutionize the sector. She also loves to blog on the topics related to Education, College, and more.