10 Common Student VISA Questions

February 12th, 2018


Studying abroad is a dream most students have. But when it comes to the red tapes, most students are utterly confused. If you are about to go abroad for your education, here are some of the commonly asked questions about getting a student visa.

When do I apply?

You need to apply immediately after you get accepted in a course. You cannot apply for a student visa before getting an acceptance letter for the course, so this is the first thing you need to take care of.

What documents do I need?

Different countries and degrees often have different sets of documents but the common ones you need are your academic records, which have to be arranged in chronological order, with the most recent on top, followed by your financial documents and any other supporting documents.

 What type of visa do I need?

Different countries have different categories of student visa depending on the kind of degree you are opting for. Do you research and make sure you apply for the right category?

How long does the interview take?

A student visa interview doesn’t really take a long time. You will be asked some basic questions on your intent, reason for choosing your subject and university etc. Be ready for questions regarding your financial situation, student loans, if any.

What about money?

Studying abroad is definitely not cheap but do not panic because it is nothing that you cannot take care of, if you plan well. You will be asked to declare your financial standing where you have to prove that you have adequate funds to pay you fees and expenses, hence, it is a wise idea to not make any big expenses before applying for the visa.

Can I get a job there?

Although different countries have varied rules when it comes to working on a student visa, but usually as a student, you can get certain kinds of jobs, but usually with limited work hours per week to sustain yourself. You can join a job once your classes start.

Can I take my parents with me?

Depending on the course and its duration, you are allowed to invite dependents such as your parents, spouse or children to visit or even stay with you. Usually it is applicable only for full time students. In this case you will have to prove that you are financially stable enough to afford their expenses.

How long can I stay?

Your visa is valid for the duration of your course and for a short period of time after your course is over which varies between 60 days to 4 months depending on the country in question, as well as the course you are applying for.

Do I need to know the language?
As a thumb rule you need to have to have a working knowledge of the language of the country. For example, if you are applying for Japan or Malaysia visa online, you need to prove that you have a basic proficiency of Japanese or Malay. So, you might want to start taking language courses seriously.

What if my visa gets rejected?
It is quite common to get your visa rejected. It is usually because of small errors like filling out a form wrong or not being able to produce the right document etc. But even if everything was right and your visa still got rejected, do not panic because you can reapply. You will be off

A student visa application is indeed a taxing process with all the documents, terms and rules that you have to keep in mind.

By line for Linda Anderson

I’m a writer and musician residing in Boise, ID in the United States, although I spent a small amount of time (about three years) living in the UK growing up, due to my father’s occupation. I graduated from the College of Idaho with a Bachelor’s Degree in Business and a focus in marketing in 2014.



Leave a Reply