Posts published on October 11, 2018
BY GARRET JACOBS
Education plays an important role in the economy of any country across the globe. Not only does the country with an educated population increases the potential and productivity of a nation, but it also produces skilled labor that can effectively undertake difficult tasks with ease due to enhanced critical thinking and literacy. The World Bank considers education as the primary tool for future developments in various communities and social settlements across the world, and it has been dedicatedly working to improve education-related activities since 1998. This also entails various forms of learning funded by world governments and approved by the Educational Global Practice. From 2011 to 2016 more than $10 million have been invested to improve educational facilities. In this post, we would like to share with you how modern-day teaching methods have improved over the years and their evident benefits for the college students who acquire them.
Perhaps is rightly the most popular and on-demand format of modern-day teaching methods that are increasingly gaining popularity among many educators and pupils across the planet. Augmented learning offers students a conducive and cohesive learning environment that adapts to their needs and requirements. The learning and teaching method emphasizes stimulation through experiences and discovery. Mostly all augmented learning practices utilize rich media and the aid of technological gadgets and tools such as games, graphics, images, puzzles, visual tools, etc. It is with the interaction of such factors in the learning environment which may also lead augmented learning to be labeled as interactive learning.
What are the benefits?
This type of learning offers various forms of engagement and interaction for the students that are tailor-made to suit their own particular set of requirements. As such interactive and augmented learning offers the following benefits:
- Students are more motivated to attend their classroom sessions and are less bored.
- Interactive classes can offer avid forms of engagement during the learning process with the help of augmented reality and virtual reality applications and tools.
- Students are able to grasp even the most challenging concepts with ease and at a much swifter pace.
- Learning can be catered towards specific child needs and thus it is highly customizable and can be personalized as well.
- The learning method boosts the student’s creativity and curiosity factor making them more open towards acquiring knowledge and information that is shared with them.
This has become a widely used mean to acquire learning for many students that are located in remote places and localities where it is extremely hard to travel for them to a local or nearby educational institution. In the UK alone, we find students nowadays acquiring distance education and learning through online correspondence courses that can entail various subjects and topics while some of them also offer specializations in particular fields of study and specific areas of interest. It is considered as one of the most popular forms of modern teaching methods where students can acquire online education and one of the most widely used platforms is known as MOOCs (massive open online courses). Majority of these learning methods are conducted using the World Wide Web or other types of network technologies and thus they are commonly referred to as distributed learning or e-learning.
What are the benefits?
As a new and reformed form of modern teaching method, distance learning can offer students the following benefits:
- Students are empowered to set their studies and learning schedules to their own pace and understanding.
- It removes geographical and traveling barriers, and no matter wherever you are situated, you can always continue your education with the help of the internet.
- Students can acquire diversity in skills and courses offered as compared to full-time degrees.
- It is also less costly and inexpensive when compared to full-time educational learning opportunities.
- Students can acquire learning and education for postgraduate and professional level courses as well.
- The quality of learning and education offered is quite high and the standards are well maintained.
- Students are also allowed to engage with other students during online classroom sessions.
- Students can plan their learning regimens along with their other daily chores and duties without any hassle due to the flexibility offered by distance learning.
This is a more advanced form of learning in which highly condensed and concentrated form of information and knowledge is shared with students in a particular format that was developed by Dr. Paul Kelley, a neuroscientist who was investigating at that time regarding the methods of long-term memory retention. The method of learning involves the teacher bombarding students with highly saturated content that is repeated at least three times with a 10-minute break in between where students are distracted by the use of a physical activity and involvement. This method has been effectively reviewed by many news reporting activists and major international journalism including The Economists, The Independent, and The Sunday Times with each reporting it as a successful method for empowering students to get prepared for their national exams in much less time without the use of any traditionally known teaching method.
What are the benefits?
While spaced learning may be misunderstood by some as being unstable for some unknown reasons, the majority of the intellectual community across the globe has termed it as a highly successful approach towards modern day teaching methods. It offers students the following benefits:
- Enabling students to plan ahead of their schedule and meet deadlines
- Allowing students to retrieve the information that they have learned during the day
- Encouraging students to revise and revisit previously mastered concepts
- Providing students with valuable relief time and mental relaxation
- Empowering students to engage with difficult concepts and assimilate knowledge
We hope that this post was able to offer you some deeper understandings regarding how modern-day teaching methods are benefiting students and enhancing their learning curves. With the progress in technology and means of communication as we have observed over the past decade, we all are very excited regarding the future possibilities and prospects concerning the evolution of education as we speak.
Garret Jacobs is an educationist who has offered her professional tutorship services for reputable universities across the UK. In his free time, he likes to write and offer coursework writing service and consultation for higher education students.