9 Must-Have Items for College Freshmen
BY MARTA KARN
When packing to go away to college, freshmen students often think about the big things, but they tend to forget a lot of the little things. Then, when they need one of these items, it is not there for them to use. There are so many things to put on your packing list when you are getting ready to head off to college. Here is a list of nine important items that every college freshman needs to pack.
- Sewing Kit – If you don’t know how to sew, now is a good time to learn. You never know when you are going to lose a button, or when a seam is going to come loose. When you can sew, and have a sewing kit handy, you will be prepared for any sewing emergency.
- First-Aid Kit – You can’t always count on having first-aid supplies handy in your dorm, so make sure that you have your own. Your first-aid kit should include bandages, gauze, a bottle of ibuprofen, a tube of Neosporin, a bottle of peroxide, and a bottle of rubbing alcohol. You should also include cotton swabs.
- Tool Kit – Even if you just want to hang a picture, you are going to need a hammer and a nail. Pack up a small tool kit that contains a hammer, a multi-tip screwdriver, nails, and screws. You can often find small tool kits available at your local hardware store, or you can make up your own.
- Wet Weather Clothing – It is always a good idea to have clothing for all types of weather. Make sure that you have a raincoat, rubber boots, and an umbrella. You never know when you are going to need to walk in bad weather, but at least you will be prepared for it.
- Extra Socks – It seems like socks just get up and walk away, and we are left with one instead of a pair. By the end of the year, you might be walking around barefoot. Stock up on a few packages of socks, so you will have plenty of extras when you need them. If you need extra money for the supplies you are taking to college, you can sell your Dell laptop for extra cash.
- Detergent Pods – You will need to supply your own laundry supplies, and it is a lot easier to pack the detergent pods than bottles of laundry detergent. In fact, you can easily pack a whole year’s worth of pods, so you never run out of detergent. Don’t forget to get a sturdy laundry bag too, in case you have to walk several floors or even blocks to get to a laundry facility.
- Water Bottle – Rather than wasting money on bottled water, and creating more waste, get yourself a BPA-free water bottle and a Brita water filter. You can always have healthy water, and you will be saving a lot of money in the long run. This is also going to help you to stay well-hydrated at all times.
- Laptop Lock – Your laptop is something you can’t live without as a college student, so you need to take steps to protect it. Get yourself a good laptop lock, so you don’t have to worry about it begin stolen. If you leave it somewhere, you know it is going to be safe until you come back for it.
- Disposable Dinnerware – Stock up on paper plates, plastic cutlery, etc. If you have a microwave in your dorm room, you will always have utensils, and something to eat off of. These are also a lot easier to pack and store than glass or plastic dinnerware, and you never have to worry about doing the dishes after you eat.
Martha Karn develops online educational courses and writes for students.