BY EMMA BONNEY
Technology has not only revolutionized our perspective of the world, but also it has changed our lives by increasing the speed of time. Technology and the college generation are closely linked. If in the old days, students only had a laptop and a flip phone, nowadays they have all the tools they could possibly need to make automation easy. It takes a few additions to transform a plain dorm room into a smart one.
But why should they bother, anyway? To tell the truth, dorm life is not glittering. Suites have concrete walls, twin beds, and boring pieces of furniture. It kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth. There are many benefits for college students looking to create a smart dorm with the help of the latest electronic devices. If you are interested in transforming your sleeping room into a technological wonderland, this is what you need to do.
Get a computer with the right software
At present, there is a strong interest for the digital assistant among consumers. We have witnessed increased campus-wide usage. Students are familiar with Amazon-powered technology, such as Alexa. Alexa currently powers the Echo devices that are present in every dorm room and apartment on Saint Louis University campus. Who knows? Maybe we will see smart living speakers at Stanford too. Getting back on topic, connectivity will be the norm.
If you wish to be prepared for any situation that might come your way, think about bringing the convenience of the smart home into the dorm room. To do that, you will need a computer with the right software. There is no denying that home automation software can be a little bit expensive, but there is good news. You do not have to purchase the latest tech device to use it. Get your hands on an old machine, clean it, check the system, and use it for dorm room automation. If you have some sort of technical expertise, know that there are free, as well as open source options available.
Do not rely on your roommates or the manual lock. At this hour, automating your dorm room is your best bet.
What devices are good for creating a smart dorm room?
By simply integrating tech gadgets, college students can gain independence and make their lives so much easier. The great thing about dorm room automation gadgets is that they will not make your wallet cry. Some electronic devices are lightweight, meaning that you can take them with you from year to year. We have narrowed down some of the best gadgets for college students willing to equip their dormitories with utility.
- Smart speaker: Wireless speakers have an integrated virtual assistant, enabling users to do many things like controlling the lights or getting hold of important information. The smart speaker that you choose must offer high-quality audio and ensure seamless integration with any music streaming services. There will be times when you will want to entertain your friends.
- Motorized blackout shades: Motorized blackout shades are a great addition to any dorm room. You will sleep well night after night, not to mention that the shades will block the sunlight when you have to study. Thanks to advances in technology and increased demand, smart window treatments are reasonably priced. What is more, there are many options to choose from. Make sure that you find the perfect fit.
- Smart plugs: Some power receptacles make it possible for you to control everything that you plug in from your mobile phone. They are called smart plugs. Smart plugs make a great choice for students. They operate on Wi-Fi, being accessed through an Android or iOS app, without limitations. Most importantly, they can be set to timers. If you have forgotten to turn something off, you can just use your smartphone.
- Wi-Fi door lock: Just as you can turn off an appliance from your phone, you can lock the door of your dorm room. How? With the help of a Wi-Fi door lock. You trust your roommate, but how well can you really know someone? If you want to have complete peace of mind, you should really secure your place.
- Smart coffee maker: Drinking caffeine as a college student is not out of the question. A good cup of Joe makes the morning go a lot smoother. Coffee is good for your body and, as long as you do not drink too much, you will be perfectly fine. A smart dorm room is not complete without a smart coffee maker. When you have such a device, you can control the timing of your preferred cup of coffee. So, even before you get out of bed, the hot beverage will be waiting for you.
Living the connected life
Anything that can be physically or electronically measured can be connected to the Internet. There is no reason why you should settle for just a few tricks when you can live the connected life. Think about it. Owing to advances in technology, it is now possible to detect gas leaks and vacuum the room. Figure out how far you are willing to go. There are no limits when it comes down to automation, that is for sure.
A bit about myself:
Emma Bonney is a successful blogger whose articles aim to help readers with self-development, Women’s Empowerment, Education, entrepreneurship and content management. My work has been featured and mentioned in a wide range of publication.