Online Education Effectiveness: How to Educate Yourself Online
BY LINDA ANDERSON
“Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school,” said Albert Einstein once. Truer words haven’t been spoken. Because after all, it is the act of constantly learning new things and encouraging flexibility and innovation of brain that brings the ultimate joy. And gone are the days when education was only confined to four walls of the houses. Today, the education of real world happens at our fingertips, i.e. on the internet. Promoting self-education as a concept, if you are always up for learning something new, then this read is meant for you!
- Coursera – Literally take classes from world-renowned universities, such as Stanford, Yale, Penn and Duke. And that too without paying the heavy price tag. Coursera is popular for delivering 1,500 courses from over 150+ university partners. Not just online videos, it also provides quizzes and one-on-one lectures that can availed based on your topic or university. From positive psychology to becoming a more effective manager to securing digital democracy and learning about the Making of the U.S. President: A short history in five elections; all courses on Coursera shed light on uplifting your education goals and adding new skills to your career assets from time to time.
- Open Courseware – Available for absolutely free, Open Courseware does an excellent job of making college and university level courses available worldwide. Available in more than 20 global languages, Open Courseware Consortium has more than 5,000 classes in English alone. Some of its courses that deserve a special shout-out are statistical thermodynamics (Middle East Technical University), Creole Language and Culture (University of Notre Dame), and Epidemics in South African History (University of Cape Town).
- Alison – If you are an entrepreneur with a global mindset, then this UK-based learning hub should you go-to choose for online education. The best part about the course is that after every course you get a British degree, Right from having classes in German, French and English, it has a range of courses, such as Creating Business Start-ups the Kawasaki Way(where Guy Kawasaki teaches the audience himself) and Introduction to Venture Capital, Understanding Currency Exchange, and Understanding the American Financial Credit Crisis. Apart from this, they also have a range of courses of non-profit fundraising and American copyright laws.
- Khan Academy – If by looking at videos and working on courses in snippets because of the paucity of time is how you would like to roll, then Khan Academy is your place to learn. Every course here is made into snippet videos so that everything fits into your schedule and pace. You can use this application to study handy courses on SAT prep, calculus, cosmology and art history. Another star quality of the course app is that you can always leave your doubts and queries below every video if something isn’t clear and course heads will get back to you on them.
- 99U – Resonating strong with its tagline – “Empowering the Creative Community,” 99U more like a TED Talk exclusively for entrepreneurs. Yes, it is that good! It resides heavily on business development, inspiration, creativity and uniqueness of your job. Here are some of its most loved sample of lectures:
- Why Unrest Is Gold for Creatives: “In an era of upheaval and crisis, creative expression takes on new urgency…. For those creatives feeling discontent in these fractious times, it’s a reminder that the simmering feeling of anger can be best used to issue a call to action and serve as a tool for change.”
- How to Beat the Imposter Syndrome Feeling: “Approximately 70 percent of us will experience a period of self-doubt at least once in our lives. Rebuild your confidence using these five strategies.”
- Paola Antonelli: Rejection Is a Sign You’re onto Something New: “Your creative work can make the world a better place. But only if you allow yourself to shock, disgust, and–yes–even fail.”
There you have it some of the most well-recognised online education platforms you can go and visit. In the end, we would like to say that gone are the days when internet was only used to watch movies, Netflix your heart out or eagerly watch Pinoy Channel TV Ako – HD quality channel where you can watch latest Filipino Tv series. Today, with the advancement of technology, a deep quest for learning and just with some spare time in hand, one can learn new skills or add to their education arsenal by selecting an online course.
Bio:- Linda is a writer and musician residing in Boise, Idaho in the United States. She graduated from the College of Idaho with a bachelor’s Degree in Business and a focus in marketing in 2014. My work has been featured and mentioned in a wide range of publication, including Elite Daily, Your Tango, Pucker Mob, CEO World, Energy Central, The Next Web, Movie Pilot and more.