BY JANE HURST
You may not be ready for a full-time job yet if you are a student, and obviously you want to enjoy your summers as much as possible. But, that takes money, and you need to find ways to earn money before you can go out and have fun. Luckily, there are all kinds of ways that you can make extra money so you can take part in all of the fun summer activities, including camping, concerts, and of course, days at the beach. Yes, you need money for all of these things, even if it is just to get a drink of soda. One way you can make money is to sell your phone. We’re not saying you need to get rid of your phone, but if you are planning on upgrading anyway, you may as well make some money off the old one. Here are some more ways you can make extra cash this summer.
- Sell Old Books – Have you amassed a big library of books over the years, but you don’t actually read them again once you have read them the first time? If so, sell those old books and make some extra money. There are plenty of used book stores that will pay you for those books, and there are websites dedicated to buying and selling used books.
- Online Tutoring – You can apply for online tutoring jobs once you have completed a few competency and placement tests. You can work from just about anywhere as long as you have an Internet connection. You never have to actually go anywhere to work, and you can usually pick and choose your own hours.
- Babysitting – This isn’t just a way for teens to make extra spending money. If you can land a full-time babysitting job for the summer, you are going to have a pretty good income. If you don’t want to do it full time, there are plenty of other babysitting opportunities out there to help parents with part-time jobs or those who just want a break for a few hours.
- Offer Music/Art Lessons – If you play an instrument, or you have a particular artistic skill, you can offer lessons. The great thing about this is that you can teach from your own home, at the home of the clients, or even at some community centers for a small fee to rent the space. The latter is a better option if you intend to hold group classes.
- Promote Events – This is a great job for someone who doesn’t want a regular job. You can find out about local events going on, and get paid to promote them on your blog, website, social media, etc. Events can range from concerts, sporting events, or just promoting various products. You will have to contact local PR and advertising firms to find out about how to get into this.
- Dog Walking – If you love animals, this is a perfect way for you to earn money. You get to spend time with animals, walking and playing with them, and you get paid to do it. Not only will you make money, by the end of the summer you should be in pretty good shape from all of the exercise you will be getting.
- Pet Sitting – Another great money-making idea for animal lovers is pet sitting. This is especially lucrative in the summer, because people want to go on vacation but can’t always take their pets with them. Rather than taking the pets away from their homes and sticking them in a strange kennel somewhere, you will stay at the home and take care of the pets.
Jane Hurst has been working in education for over 5 years as a teacher. She loves sharing her knowledge with students, is fascinated about edtech and loves reading, a lot.