Use Your Hobbies to Pay for College
BY GORDON SCHORR
Are you worried about how you are going to pay off all of your student loan debt after you graduate from college? How would you like to not have much debt to pay off in the first place? No, we are not exactly talking about taking on a part-time job while you are going to school. We are actually talking about getting scholarships, based on your hobbies. You might be surprised to learn that many companies and individuals offer scholarships to those have hobbies, from amateur radio to knitting and more. Here are some cool ideas to check out.
- Knitting – Do you love to knit? If so, you could win yourself $3,000 towards your education expenses. The Beans for Brains Scholarship is from Jimmy Beans Wool store, and it is open to students from all over the world who are skilled at knitting. So, if people made fun of you for knitting, it is time to show them a thing or two by putting that talent to good use. Create something really awesome, and get your application in.
- Gaming – It’s a good thing that you didn’t listen to your mother when she said you were too into trading card games and that you needed to get a life. Your knowledge of games could win you a $5,000 scholarship. All you have to do is write an essay that is related to the trading card game, “Magic: The Gathering”. The more you know about the game, the better your chances are of getting that scholarship. Applications for 2018 scholarships are open in the fall, and must be submitted no later than March 31, 2018.
- Videos – How many times have you been asked to get your camera out of someone’s face? Well, all of those videos you took for fun may have given you the experience to win $1,000. The ACT Video Contest is open to juniors and seniors in high school. The ACT test is important, but not mandatory, and all students are encouraged to take it. All you have to do is submit a video that makes students want to take the ACT.
- Photography – If you are interested in photography, you could put your talents to good use and win a $500 Camera Runner Photography Scholarship. This award is given to students in high school and college, and part-time students are eligible to apply. You must write an essay about what you love about photography, and submit one of your favorite photos. The deadline for application is August 31.
- Egg Donor – If you are between 18-28 years old, pass the basic qualifications, and have a good health and family history, you can start applying to the program by New Hope Fertility Center immediately.
- Poetry – If you are into poetry, there is an awesome scholarship that would be perfect for you to apply for. The Power Poetry Scholarships are for high school seniors, undergraduate students, and graduate students who have a love of, and a talent for poetry. The winner will receive a scholarship in the amount of $1,000 to use towards tuition or other educational expenses.
- Automotive Interests – Students who have an interest in working in the automotive field are eligible to apply for the Automotive Hall of Fame scholarships. There are many different awards for both high school seniors and college students who have a love of automobiles. The amounts often depend on the financial need of the winning students. To be eligible for most of these scholarships, you must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, be a US citizen or live in the US and hold a valid visa, and have two letters of recommendation that show you have a true interest in automobiles.
Gordon Schorr is an online educator and creative writer.